Scope of Practice
Our team offers broad experience in environmental law. We have an emphasis on the issues that confront businesses, particularly in the acquisition and sale of business interests and real estate. We are also experienced in helping businesses and other entities that have environmental impacts, including water-related impacts.
Failure to secure proper licenses or permits or to properly contain existing or potential environmental risks can expose businesses and business owners to substantial liability. Our environmental law team is here to assist you in managing these issues in a timely and cost-effective manner.
We have experience with state and federal environmental laws in several contexts, including:
- Due diligence review and negotiation of environmental risks in business and real estate transactions.
- Environmental disclosures and allocation of risks in business transactions.
- Remediation of soil and groundwater under state and federal clean up programs.
- Cost recovery actions for environmental remediation work.
- State permitting of businesses and municipalities under the Wisconsin Pollution Discharge Elimination Permit program (WPDES) and defense of permit challenges.
- Defense of clients in government environmental enforcement actions.
- Regulatory compliance with industry-specific environmental and zoning standards at the state and local levels.
- Protection of confidential business information within the context of ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Transactions relating to the acquisition and sale of alternative energy technologies.
- Evaluation of environmental insurance options and management of insurance coverage issues.
David McFarlane - Fellowship in the American College of Trial Attorneys
Bell, Moore & Richter is very pleased to announce that on September 16, 2016, David McFarlane was sworn in as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Attorneys at its annual meeting in Philadelphia.